Wednesday 12 December 2012

Chewy, chocolatey cookies... and they're healthy (ish)!

Since the low fat chocolate mint cake went down a treat, I'm being bombarded with requests for cookies, cakes and traybakes with reduced fat and sugar.. thankfully I never really need an excuse to bake, so I'm more than happy to oblige.

Low fat mint chocolate cake complete with kettlebells,dumbbells and penguins for a recent gym Christmas party 

I was visiting a friend over the weekend, and never one to arrive empty handed, I decided to work on a reduced fat chocolate cookie...I have to say, I was delighted with the end result of a chewy, chocolatey cookie that tasted just as good as any other cookie I'd ever baked.



To make the cookies:

200g icing sugar
85g cocoa powder
30g plain flour
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g chopped pecans

Start by preheating the oven to 170d (fan oven)
Sieve dry ingredient into a large bowl.
Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add in vanilla extract, and stir in gently.
Finally fold in the chopped pecans until just combined.

**NOTE**
This is quite a liquid mixture so don't be surprised that you haven't got a regular type cookie dough.


Using a spoon, place generous mounds of the mixture on a baking sheet. Leave small gaps between the cookies as they will spread during baking.


Bake in a preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, until slightly firm to touch. These cookies are supposed to be chewy so they need to be a little soft when you remove them from the oven, or you'll end up with crunchy
overcooked cookies.




These cookies are perfect if you're trying to reduce your fat intake.Whilst the pecans contain fat, nearly 90% of this is unsaturated 'heart healthy' fat.

Best of all, they actually taste pretty awesome!












1 comment:

  1. Hello my lovely, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award, check my blog for the questions to answer :D http://thevelvetmoonbaker.blogspot.ie/2013/01/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete