Monday 15 October 2012

And so the gingerbread girl was born....


If like me, you love everything about cake, then you've come to the right place....

I realised recently, that I've been baking for over 10 years. I've never loved anything for that long; shoes and boyfriends come and go, but my love of baking has remained. A friend told me, that "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life". It's cheesy, but true. I've always wanted to bake professionally, but somewhere along the way, I got side tracked and instead got a 'real' job playing with a calculator in a shiny office with a view. I'm ditching the suit and heels, for an apron, and I hope you'll enjoy sharing the (sugar induced) highs and lows of my adventure...

When I was a little girl, I always thought there was nothing like my mum's baking. Now that I've supposedly grown up, I realise there really is nothing like my mum's baking. Every birthday and Christmas, she would bake an array of simple, but delicious cakes and bakes. For school parties, and cake sales, she would whip up fruit cakes, biscuit cakes, cream horns and marzipan fruits that nobody, and I mean nobody else could recreate. Recipes would be shared, with friend's parents, but it never tasted as good as when my mum baked them... She had no secret to baking, she didn't strive to create visually stunning works of art... instead, she followed recipes which she had learnt from her mum; traditional cakes which were beautiful in their simplicity. 

My grandmother, who unfortunately I don't remember, was by all accounts an incredible baker. I'm lucky enough to have her recipe book, which though it's tattered and splattered, has survived since 1964 when she started writing it.

I'm lucky enough to have recipes from my both my grandmother, and my mother's kitchen. For me, baking is about sharing, and making people happy. There is a cake for every occasion, for every break up, every make up.....  though who am I kidding, you don't need an excuse to have cake!

If you're a true cake lover, then you're going to love this blog. I can promise recipes, photos of baked deliciousness, rants and raves, and idle musings of a cake addict...

For now...have a cupcake, or two.... Happy Monday :)


1 comment:

  1. My fondest memories of my Mom were when we baked together. It's not just feeding the tummy it feeds the soul. I started a blog for my nieces in the States so I can share our family recipes, photos and stories. I enjoy it more than they do. It's great fun! Good luck and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete